Your shapewear is just like a piece of lingerie, but it’s also an investment. By caring for your shapewear properly, you’ll extend its life and usefulness. Especially after having some quality shapewear as a regular part of your wardrobe, you’ll realize what a great investment you made! But just like any other undergarments you own, if you don’t care for them properly, you’ll be upset once they start losing their shape and overall luster.
If you want to learn how to care for your shapewear and get the most use out of your shaping garments, you should always follow these simple tips:
• When caring for your shapewear, your undergarments need regular, gentle washing to maintain the material’s elasticity. After multiple washes and wears, the fabric can start to lose its strength. For best results, try to avoid wearing the same piece of shapewear more than twice before washing it.
• Your shapewear might include latex, which you should be especially mindful of because latex can be damaged easily. It is highly recommended to hand-wash your latex shapewear in a bucket or tub of warm water, using a very mild shampoo. Rinse them out well and hang to dry.
• If your shapewear is made up of non-latex, then it can be washed in the washing machine using the gentle or handwash cycle in cold water. Make sure to read the label or tag if you are not sure if it contains latex. High heat and hot water can damage the resilience of the material. Cold water helps shrink the material back into its original form. If you have a netted lingerie bag, consider washing them in one to avoid snagging them on anything. And if your washing machine doesn’t have a gentle cycle, wash your garments by hand, much like shapewear made with latex, but instead, with cold water.
• Using the right type of detergent is also extremely important. Seek out specifically formulated detergent for lingerie because any detergents that contain dyes, fragrances, alcohol, softeners or bleach could damage your shapers by breaking down the material fibers. And remember to only use a mild shampoo, or even baby shampoo, for all latex garments.
• As mentioned above, always air-dry your shapers by laying them flat or hanging. Do not use a dryer; the heat can damage the fabrics and latex in your shapewear.
• It is advised to keep your shapewear in a dry, dark area. For bustier shapewear and full-length slips with hooks or underwiring, it’s best to lay flat in a drawer. Never leave a garment hanging for an extended period of time as it will stretch out the true shape of your shapewear.
• Keep your shapewear in the best condition possible! Because no event or outfit is ever the same, It’s smart to have several pieces of shapewear in various cuts and colors that you can use regularly within your wardrobe! You will always look fabulous with continuous support, but you’ll feel great too, knowing that you’re regularly washing all of your shapewear and not wearing out one piece more than the other.
When you know how to care for your shapewear, your pieces will last through many uses. Always refer to any manufacturer’s instructions, or feel free to contact us with any questions about proper care for your Cover Girl Shapewear!